Life on the other side of the pond

Monday, June 13, 2005

You can never go back!!

I took a trip to Leeds to visit my friend Claire who I had met in Australia. We had a fantastic time catching up and remembering the good times in OZ.

Leeds is known for its cosmopolitan-ness – great shopping and a great nightlife. Well you can guess that I took advantage of the great shopping – on a budget of course. I think Claire was a little horrified about taking me shopping as a tourist attraction, but I was happy!!

Saturday was the big night out. We started off with a beautiful Italian dinner in this fantastic restaurant with a 1950s décor… kept waiting for Dean Martin to show up on stage and do a little dance… sing a little song! Afterwards off to a pub, then a club which was later deemed “too cheesy” – I actually liked it – then another club (sorta reminded me of Velvet – but bigger and a little classier) which was dead. Finally one of the girls decided that we would join her brother at a bar called the Drydock. Did I mention he was her younger brother – younger by about 10 years.

The Drydock was a university hangout. No one but me and the 4 other girls I was with was over the age of 22!! Now I have no problem with people in their 20s – on the contrary, I traveled with a lot of people younger than me and made some great friends. But a club full of them – all intent on nothing else but getting falling down drunk – I really felt old!! I then found out we were moving on… phew… to the student union… NOoooooo!!!! So we moved to a dark and dingy hall that charged us 4 pounds to get in and drink alcholised grape punch. The bathrooms were flooded with young girls so drunk they couldn’t stand up and the sounds of vomiting coming from every second stall. Kids walking around in costumes and rebels with piercings in every orifice. Where people weren’t rebelling, they were philosophizing – as you do in Uni. The funniest was that they were playing music from the eighties – my generation!! I’m sure had I been 19 and in Uni this would have been the height of cool. But I’m 31… I’ve been there, done that. I just wanted a dance and a vodka soda. So I say… You can never go back and chances are… you don’t want to!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home