Life on the other side of the pond

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

York

York is a fantastic English city. It has all the things you think off when imagining a typical English location. Old castles, winding cobblestone streets, an old city wall, beautiful gardens bursting with English roses, a fantastic Minster (church) and a great river winding through it.

I had been to York on my last trip to England, but felt like I needed to give it another look-see given that the last time I was there I was infested with bed-bugs and it was pouring down rain. I’m glad I did. What a beautiful city!

Claire and I took the train Leeds to York – about a 40 min ride. We spent the whole day walking around the city. Had a Cornish pie for lunch and Betty’s for high tea. Betty’s is renown for their tea and crumpets – I had hot chocolate and a Fat Bertha – a Betty’s specialty. I felt so English – having high tea!! Giggle!! We visited the old castle in the middle of the city and found out all about Guy Fawkes.

Definitely a great day and to anyone who hasn’t been, I would recommend York.

1 Comments:

At 3:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Betty- what a gal. I love her. We visit her every time... should have mentioned the hog roast sandwiches too, though last time Matt and I were there they'd downsized the sarnies and upsized the price... still steaming dripping meat on a bun is always a good thing.
Jenn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home