Life on the other side of the pond

Friday, June 17, 2005

The job search continues

So it’s been over 4 weeks now and I haven’t heard anything. No scratch that. I’ve heard “Thank you for your application but we have decided to go for someone with more appropriate skills” or from the agents “Yes Christine, we’re actively looking for you unfortunately we don’t have anything to match you profile. Don’t give up!”. Looking for a job is a miserable prospect. My recommendation – don’t leave the one you’ve got until you have another one lined up!!! I’ve never been so de-moralized in my life!! I left home confident in my skills and ability to find a job. Now I’m at the point where I’m wondering if I’ll ever work again.

The situation gets worse by the need to find a place to live. I’m currently living with friends but can’t stay here forever. Jo has graciously given up her room for me so Jo and Tara are now sleeping in the same bed. How guilty do I feel!! Not sure they were expecting me to stay for this long when they offered me a place to stay.

Looking for a flat is no fun when you have no money coming in. A room in a small apartment, sharing with 2-4 other people will cost me as much a month (after exchange) as it did when I was living in my great single apartment in Toronto. How sick is that?!?!? The other problem is that London is so huge… how do you decide where to live? South of the river? North of the river?

I had settled on Greenwich. It is in my opinion the best of both worlds – close to the centre of city but has a small town feel with a fabulous park nearby. Problem is… the flats are few and far between in Greenwich. I did find one, but they chose someone else. Booo!!!

Time to do some thinking about the future!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home